Can't Miss Mashed Potatoes
Creamy texture with a delicious potato taste, you'll never
know you are missing all those carbs!
2 large Yukon Gold or Idaho potatoes (24 ounces)
5 cups cauliflower (one large head)
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
2 Tbsp. reduced fat sour cream
1 Tbsp. chives (fresh or dried)
1/2 cup low sodium chicken stock, optional
salt and pepper to taste
I prefer to leave the potato skin on but this is entirely up to your own taste. Cut potatoes and cauliflower florets into equal sized pieces and add to a large pot of cold salted water. Bring to boil, reduce heat and cover. Cook for between 15 and 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and return to pot over very low heat for a few minutes to evaporate any excess liquids, watching it and stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and mash or run through a potato ricer or food mill. Stir in the butter, sour cream and chives. Season to taste with salt and pepper. The cauliflower keeps the mixture moist enough and no additional liquids should be needed. If it is too thick add up to 1/2 cup low sodium chicken stock, one tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached.
- The following options for the Can't Miss Mashed Potatoes are not included in the nutritional value and do not make any appreciable difference.
- Add three or four peeled cloves of garlic to the cooking water with the potatoes and cauliflower and mash with mixture for a mild garlicky mashed potato.
- Add the zest of 1/2 lemon to the mashed potatoes along with the chives for a bright, light lemon essence.
Yields 6 one cup servings
Amount per serving
Total Carbohydrate 26.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
Total Fat 2.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 0.3 g
- Monounsaturated Fat 0.8 g
Cholesterol 7.5 mg
Sodium 114.7 mg
Potassium 814.4 mg
Protein 4.4 g