Monday, June 28, 2010

South Carolina Sweet and Spicy Mustard Barbecue Sauce


I have been researching regional barbecue sauces for months now in preparation for summer grilling. This week I am highlighting a few of my favorite barbecue sauces that have, of course, had my twist applied to them, as well as sharing several other great recipes for the Fourth of July holiday or any happy summer grilling day. The first sauce I'd like to share is from South Carolina where typically, a yellow mustard barbecue sauce is popular. I have interpreted it in my own way and given it a little heat with the sweet by adding whole grain mustard, cayenne and white pepper tempered with molasses, sugar substitute and sugar free maple syrup. I hope you enjoy.

South Carolina Sweet and Spicy Mustard Barbecue Sauce

Ingredients:

1/2 cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup whole grain or course ground mustard
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar free maple syrup (I used Vermont Made brand)
3 Tbsp. Splenda
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp. molasses
1/2 tsp. white pepper
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (to taste)
2 tsp. paprika

Blend all ingredients in a small bowl and refrigerate for about 1 to 2 hours to marry flavors. Excellent as both a barbecue and a dipping sauce that is great for your grilled chicken.

Nutrition Facts
12 - 2 Tablespoon Servings
Amount Per Serving
Calories 25.3
Total Fat 0.9 g
Saturated Fat 0.0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.1 g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 0.0 mg
Sodium 242.6 mg
Potassium 49.9 mg
Total Carbohydrate 3.6 g
Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
Sugars 1.0 g
Protein 0.5 g


~ South Carolina Sweet and Spicy Mustard Barbecue Sauce
pictured with grilled chicken ~

No comments:

Post a Comment