Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Ham and Cheese

I can't help myself, I love brussels sprouts and I always have. So many people turn up their noses at them and they just don't know what they're missing. Maybe they've just never had them cooked properly. When you roast most any vegetable you bring out the natural sweetness in them and they get all caramelized with those lovely, crispy edges. I have done that with brussels sprouts. This time though, I have also included diced bits of ham and grated Parmesan cheese. I have seen lots of roasted brussels sprouts recipes before using pancetta or bacon but never with ham, though I'm sure there must be some. This is a simple dish with few ingredients and so easy to prepare. The taste is unbelievable and it's a nice way to use up some of that leftover ham if you still have any. I hope you enjoy.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Ham and Cheese


Ingredients:

4 cups of brussels sprouts, cleaned and halved from end to end
1 cup ham, diced
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/4 tsp. freshly cracked black pepper
2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese, grated, reserve 1 tsp. for garnish

Preheat oven to 400'

Toss the brussels sprouts, ham, olive oil, black pepper and cheese together on a large sheet pan. Make sure everything is in a single layer and roast for about 20 minutes. Increase the oven temperature to 425' for an additional 10 minutes of cooking. Garnish with the remaining teaspoon of cheese.

Nutrition Facts
4 Generous Servings
Amount Per Serving
Calories 140.5
Total Fat 8.0 g
Saturated Fat 2.1 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.8 g
Monounsaturated Fat 4.4 g
Cholesterol 21.2 mg
Sodium 513.0 mg
Potassium 457.0 mg
Total Carbohydrate 9.0 g
Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
Sugars 1.9 g
Protein 9.9 g

No comments:

Post a Comment